International Youth Month Breakfast Briefing: “Young Democracy: Engagement as a Deterrent to Radicalization”
Join the International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES) for a breakfast briefing on how involving young people in constructive democratic processes can serve as a potential deterrent to radicalization. This panel will discuss engagement both before and after the age of enfranchisement, with a special emphasis on the political participation of young women and girls.
Discussants will offer examples of programmatic work from multiple regions and countries, including Bangladesh, Burundi, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Indonesia, Libya, Nepal, Syria and Yemen.
This event will be co-hosted by the office of Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee (TX-18).
- Matthew Cohen, Program Officer, Africa, IFES
- Jessica Huber, Senior Gender Specialist, IFES
- Juliette Schmidt, Deputy Regional Director, Asia and the Pacific, IFES
- Ambar Zobairi, Deputy Regional Director, Middle East and North Africa
- Moderated by Augusta Featherston, Youth Adviser, IFES
A light breakfast will be served.
Event LocationB-338 Rayburn House Office Building
45 Independence Ave. SW
Washington, DC 20515